Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Learning Experiences


  Reflection:

1. The incident I recall as being the most exciting and rewarding was being in musical theatre/drama class in junior high. This was important to me because it helped me grow as an actor and I learned a lot from my teachers.


2. The incident I recall as being the most disappointing was almost failing math class all throughout school; it affected my work and learning experience greatly.

3. The characteristics/behaviours of teachers that helped me learn were supportive, kind, positive an encouraging in my work. An example would be drama, music, history and english.

4. The characteristics/behaviours of teachers that I found most hindered my learning were teachers who were negative, rude, belittling and condescending. An example would be various math, gym and science teachers because I'm not so good in those classes.

5. The time I felt most valued and affirmed as a learner as when my teachers acknowledged and encouraged my success, such as in junior high and high school.

6. The times I felt most demeaned and patronized as a learner was when I was treated like a child, even though I'm an adult. An example again would be in subjects like math, gym and science or in general.

In my group, we figured out and the similarities and differences of how we were treated in school or what subjects we were all good at or not.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this information, Gillian.

    Regarding #5: what types of acknowledgements are affirming for you? E.G. praise? Grades? How does this connect with your motivation in school?

    Launa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise, grades, smiling faces, a warming environment. I like to feel safe and sheltered from the world sometimes.

    Thanks,
    Gillian.

    ReplyDelete